1st day in 3rd year

22 September 2011

Today we had a really productive day, breaking down the importance of the rational and focusing our briefs. This has really helped me gage a more direct view of where I need to be going and what my design practice is really about. It's helped me focus on what I want to get out of my briefs, and what I want to do this year in order to get the most out of my 3rd year.

We came up with a load of lists that relate directly to me and my design practice....

We first started off looking at 'Things I want to do' and 'Things I want to achieve'

Things I want to do:                                                   Things I want to Achieve:

Screen Printing                                                           A portfolio that reflects me
Become a master of type                                            Working skills with type
Create a portfolio relating to me                                 A professional practice
Get better skills in photography                                 Contacts within Industry
Utilise the facilities at college                                     Experience with working with clients and short
Work with more media - printing techniques             deadlines
Collaboration between year and courses                    A range of small time placements throughout this
Web design - Viral marketing (get the hang               year
of it)                                                                           Security and confidence in my design practice
Find new and interesting ways to document my        A balance between uni and life..
work on screen.                                                          Be amazing!
Innovative packaging solutions

After this we then went on to break up our interested into; themes, contexts and products:

Themes:
(subjects)
Food
People (Adults)
Type
Design
Promotion
Changing the world (graphic design hero)
Magazines

Contexts:
(disciplines)
Layout
Editorial
Typography
Retail - clothing
Letterpress
Embossing
Media and print
Screen printing

Products:
(function)
Publications
Packaging
Menu design
Logo
Retail packaging
Web Design
Posters
Manipulated fonts
Brands

Lastly, we then went on to look at what we WANT to do, followed by what we NEED to do:

WANT:
(skills)
Screen Printing
After Effects
Photography
Printing
Dreamweaver (flash and html)
Letterpress
Adobe Creative suite (in-design, illustrator, photoshop etc)
(process)
Screen printing
Video manipulation
Documentation of the work and processes
Dreamweaver and flash
Letterpress
Perfecting and improving skills
(product)
Screen printed products
Visual aid for recording work
Product shots and processes
Media and processes
Personal Website
Magazines - publications - posters
Defined practice

NEED:
(skills)
Completed briefs
Dreamweaver - Webdesign
Screen Printing
Time management
In-design/illustrator/photoshop
Graphic Design (informed)
(process)
Work - professional
Web-Design - established portfolio of work
Screen printing efficiently
Manipulation of type in all forms
Portfolio
(product)
Portfolio
Website
Screen printed posters
Typography related work
Job

0 comments: